Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Ladies, the woman of our country have come a long way. Years ago, our rights and freedoms were greatly restricted, until two woman made a tremendous positive impact on US history, forever changing the rules and allowing us the freedom to vote, and giving woman the freedom to run for President of the United States.
But those were not the only significant changes that have taken place in somewhat recent history. Do you know why you now have the same rights as a man? Do you know why black women and white women both finally have the same rights? Well, you may not, and that is exactly why I’m here to explain the legacy of two truly remarkable, unstoppable women: Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton.
            Stanton and Anthony were two of the most influential people in United States history. Without these women, it is needless to say, that the world would just not be the way it is today, and that is a fact. Prior to the 1920’s, women had very limited rights with respect to many very important issues, such as the legal rights concerning a woman's body, her ability to vote, to work, as well as other, more simple rights and responsibilities of citizenship. Stanton and Anthony fought their entire lives to try and combat this discrimination and make these rights possible for all female US citizens.
            Stanton was the daughter of a wealthy mother, and a father who was a judge in the courts. Stanton's father had put all of his hopes and dreams into his children, especially his sons. Unfortunately, all of his sons ended up getting ill, and passing away, likely pushing Stanton so hard to make her father happy, but all he could say continuously to her was, “ I wish you were a boy.” That sentence replayed over and over in her head, as you can imagine, and influenced her thoughts and actions as she set out to become one of the  most notorious women's activist leaders in world history. This negative situation brought on by her father was transcended into a positive situation and only made Stanton hustle and bustle a bit more.[2] “Man cannot speak for her, because he has been educated to believe that she differs from him so materially that he cannot judge of her thoughts, feelings, and opinions by his own" (Stanton quoted  in ).[1]
Susan B. Anthony grew up a little bit differently, most notably because she had a father who had great morals at the time he raised her. He did not agree with the way the school system worked at all, and when he saw that his daughter could not practice long division with the boys, he yanked her out of grammar school, and sent her off to Philadelphia to get a proper education. Anthony, held her head high, and proudly went into teaching and leading the female department at the school she worked for. Anthony aspired to be a lot of things, but no way in heck was this woman going to get married, and tend to a man. Anthony was all about not being a “drudge ” and was determined to have equality.[2]  “The old idea that man was made for himself and woman for him, that he is the oak she the vine, he the head, she the heart, he the great conservator of wisdom, she of love, will be reverently laid aside with other long since exploded philosophy's of the ignorant past.” ( Quoted by Susan B. Anthony). [1]
            Anthony and Stanton met in 1851, in the midst of the women's rights convention. Word on the street, was that Anthony was eager to meet Stanton, because she had heard many positive things about the woman, including her passion for standing up for females of any color,all over. Anthony had thought Stanton had reminded her of herself, and was curiously admiring her works from afar. Fortunately, the two had come together, and were the most powerful duo of women the world has yet seen by leading the Women's Rights movement.  Anthony was convinced, that without Women being able to vote, equality was just something the world would never have the privilege of seeing, and therefore, women would not be granted the ability to live a safe, comfortable, equal life. The two went on to fight, lecture, and protest all over. The two even got to write and start the “Revolution” newspaper, which was all about women's suffrage movements.  The duo also went on to create and lead the National American Woman Suffrage Association. Stanton did all the public events, while Anthony did most of the behind the scenes work. The two women did pretty much everything they could to combat patriarchy, and more. In 1863, they were fortunate enough to win over the respect of male abolitionist republicans, which had formed “Women's Loyal National League” which paved the way for thousands of females to protest and prohibit slavery. In 1868, “The Revolution” went on to become a nationwide women's journal! [2 ]
                 Many achievements were completed, and Anthony fought so hard that she wound up getting arrested, but soon released. Despite the arrest, these accomplishments by both Stanton and Anthony were greatly recognized.  Anthony was said to have gone on to fight hard for women's rights, while Stanton at some point, had actually gone back home to be with her husband and six children.[2] Anthony had written many letters to Stanton, in midst of her dismissal. “Oh- How I do think of you & wish I had you here to help on the work-- Can’t you write at some point & send it on-- I can get all and more published than I can get-- Lovingly, yours-- “Susan B. Anthony. (95. The Selected Papers of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony : An Awful Hush, 1895 to 1906)  [3]This letter and many more letters out there, led me to believe that Anthony was missing her partner in crime, Stanton. It seems as if though, Anthony was a little bit more introverted, and a fighter, while Stanton was at home tending to her children. It was said that Stanton, at times, lived vicariously through Anthony.  " My whole soul is in the works but my hands belong to my family" she said to Susan. (Judith Wellman-Biographer) [3 ] 
              The picture that I have put here of the two women, pretty much sums up their relationship. Anthony on the right, reading to Stanton and wearing glasses, and Stanton on the left, I assume is being taught something by Anthony. I guess it makes sense, because Stanton was the woman with the babies, and Anthony was the one more actively running around, trying to encourage and enforce change. The picture also shows the beauty of their friendship. It gives me comfort and pleasure  to imagine, that right here in this image, Anthony had come to Stanton's house to ask her advice on something she was about to publish in their newspaper, "The Revolution." Or, maybe Stanton was about to go on stage and speak, and they were both reading over some work they had formed together. Or maybe Anthony was telling Stanton she didn't agree with her works, and they were agreeing on something more suitable, or vice versa. Either way, no matter what the duo were doing in this photo, I'm sure it held great importance, since this remarkable photo is almost everywhere on the internet.
Figure 1: Elizabeth Cady Stanton (seated) and Susan B. Anthony (standing). Photograph by. Retrieved from: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Susan-B-Anthony 
Figure 2. "The Revolution Newspaper" published Jan 15th 1868 by Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. Retrieved from https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/The_Revolution_vol_1_number_2.png/440px-The_Revolution_vol_1_number_2.png
        
     After all the effort these two women put forth, after all the agony and protesting, one day at the last Women's suffrage Convention meeting, when it was apparent that the 19th amendment for women to vote would not be passed, Anthony fearlessly stood up, and stated, “Failure is Impossible.” It was not until much later that the The 19th amendment  was passed.  Bitter sweetly, it ended up passing  14 years after Anthony had been deceased, and 18 years after Stanton was deceased. Needless to say, these two admirable women kept the movement alive with their passion, long- loving friendship, and bad-ass work ethic! [2 ]
It excites me to state that Susan B. Anthony, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, are the reason that us girls, AND BOYS, got to vote for Hilary Clinton  Clinton a few months ago, and that is a fact. Check out this fun video below! 


Figure 3: Video of Susan B. Anthony created by Dreamworks TV. Aug. 12, 2016. 

 

 

 

References:

.


[1] "Susan B. Anthony." Gay & Lesbian Biography, edited by Michael J. Tyrkus and Michael Bronski, St. James Press, 1997. Biography in Context, libraries.state.ma.us/login?gwurl=http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1634000014/BIC1?u=mlin_n_umass&xid=b241683d. Accessed 13 Feb. 2017.
[2] Ken Burns and Paul Barnes ; written by Geoffrey C. Ward ; produced by Paul Barnes, Ken Burns ; directed by Ken Burns. Not For Ourselves Alone : the Story of Elizabeth Cady Stanton & Susan B. Anthony. [Alexandria, Va.] : Hollywood, CA :PBS Home Video ; Distributed by Paramount Home Entertainment, 2004. Print.
[3] Bowers, Andy, and Katharine Lee. The Selected Papers of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony: An Awful Hush, 1895 to 1906. Edited by Ann D. Gordon et al., Rutgers University Press, 2013, www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt5hjfh1.

11 comments:

  1. The opening statements of this article really drew me in and made me want to continue to read. Your voice was very powerful in this writing and I can tell you are passionate about this topic which is fantastic. We recently read a novella titled Of Mice and Men. A character, referred to as Curly's wife, is the only women on a farm and is constantly looked down upon and ignored by the others. However, even though she was lonely and sad, at one point she cried out about how she also has the right to be talked to and should be able to roam freely. Both her and these two lovely women represented the fight for equality and the injustice that was occurring around them. I am quite curious as to why you didn't put more quotes from Anthony or Stanton and why you decided to write about them. However, nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jojo!
      Thanks a ton for taking the time to get back to my post. I love how you made the "Of Mice and Men" comparison with Stanton and Anthony, super job. I remember reading that back in high school and I can totally see how you would relate that to what I am speaking about! There were many things I was lacking while putting the blog together, and so I got too distracted with that and did not have much time for more quotes, as they were also a little bit difficult to build context to my subject with. I wrote about these two remarkable women because everyone else in the class seemed to be doing their blogs on individual female activists(etc) and so I had actually only picked Susan Anthony, until shortly after Professor Vinson told me I had to include Stanton- they come in a package deal! I then told Professor Vinson I would be glad to report on them. :) Thank you and let me know if you have any more questions!

      Carly

      Delete
  2. At the beginning of this article i could not stop reading because I was eager to learn about the beginning of feminism! The duo of Anthony and Stanton were remarkable in making changes for women and I am disappointed I had not learned about them sooner. I think two women working together to achieve there goals is a very powerful thing because they are pushing one another forward while others are trying to hold them back! I relate these two strong women to Scout from "To Kill a MockingBird" because she is an example of acting the way she morally believes with the help of father and her desire to be as free as her brother Jem. Her refusal to wear dresses shows her strong will by wanting to be able to keep up with her brother. I wonder how you found your research on the personal connection of Anthony and Stanton and how you made your analysis on the letters between them when Stanton returned home with her family. I feel grateful that I have learned about two new women activist but wish they were alive to see how their hard work paid off! -Hannah McAnespie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah!
      Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my blog post! I am glad I was the first one to teach you about this dynamic duo. These women hold a signifignant image to men and women everywhere. I truly believe Stanton and Anthony should be known to everybody. I really liked how you compared "To Kill a Mockingbird" to what I had to say about Stanton and Anthony. I can see what you mean, I love that novel! I found all my research through a database, but it took lots of hours, and lots of hard analyzing! I'm so glad you were able to learn about these women and their true legacy. Thanks Hannah!
      Carly

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The introduction of this is beautifully written and really drew me in! This whole article felt really revolutionary and exciting, which is a result of your great writing. Feminism is so important and it is really interesting to read about the duo that started it all trying to gain voting rights, something many of us take for granted today. I think Anthony and Stanton would have been proud of the protesters that took part in the Woman's March this past January. In "I Am Malala" feminism is a recurring theme, and today Malala is an activist for every woman's right to an education. Anthony and Stanton courageously challenged gender standards so many decades ago, and today women like Malala still have to defend women's equality. Did you enjoy writing about this topic, and would you consider writing about women fighting for equal rights again in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hey Natalia!
      Thank you so much! I really appreciate how you took the information I was saying, and intertwining your other thoughts of feminism with the contemporary issues we are having. I also agree that Anthony and Stanton would have been proud of all the women and men, brave enough to contribute to the protests- great point! I'm also glad you were able to compare it to " I am Malala." Overall, yes I really enjoyed writing about this topic, especially right now because of what I just noted previously in my paragraph. To answer your other question, yes, I would definitely consider going into fighting for equal rights in the future. One of my dreams is to become a motivational speaker, so maybe I could somehow weave feminism into there. Thanks for your time, Natalia.
      Carly

      Delete
  5. I honestly am so surprised that Anthony and Stanton are the reason I have rights. Why did I not learn about these extraordinary women in school? The dynamic duo were revolutionary. The intro grabbed my attention mostly because of the recent tragic but historic election but it also intrigued me. Before reading this article, I had thought that there was not much to us women having rights, like it just happened. But little did I know that it took decades/ centuries of blood, sweat, tears,and fighting back the oppression to have the rights I do in this world at this time. Anthony and Stanton were truly badass. This reminded me of a tragedy by Sophocles called the Theban Plays. One of the plays was Antigone, a story about a strong willed sister of deceased brothers. She wanted to be have the right of properly burying one of her brothers. Antigone, like Stanton and Anthony had to fight for what she believed in to the death. Antigone did what was right for her and although it was a punishable crime, she followed through and showed no weakness. I related to both Antony and Stanton because I grew up with both of the ideas of girls having the same rights and educaation as boys but also I would have to grow up to take careof my husband and family. What inspired you to write about these incredible women? How did you elate toAnthony and Stanton? Its a great article btw ;)) - Shivani P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shivani!
      Thank you for taking the time to read my post! Many others are wondering why they did not learn about these remarkable woman and I am left wondering too! I think everyone should have the privilege of learning about them because it is what they deserve. I like how you compared what I wrote to the tragedy by Sophocles- great interpretation! I have never read it but I can totally see how you could relate the two. I like you grew up that way too, and always found it very interesting that it is the womans duty to take care of my husband and family. It is funny because now my dad is more of a mom to me- so I guess things always change! I was inspired to write about these women because professor Vinson had said If I wanted to write about Anthony I would have to write about Stanton as well- they are a package deal! ;) I can relate to these women on so many levels. I work in the fashion industry and have had many instances where I have had people treat me like I am less than, just because I am a young woman. Thank you Shivani!!
      Carly

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete